Monday, January 20, 2020

(10) ~ a very good "week" ~ Romania 🇷🇴Mission

February 25-26, 2020
I have got to get busy and get all these mission journal letters sent (and wrote 😅).  I know it is a crazy time for everyone, but I cannot believe all that has transpired in our life over these last 2 1/2 months; it seems like we have been out on our mission for years not just months.  I hope I don't ramble on too much, but it seems like that is my style and hopefully you are already used to it or used to scrolling down and just checking out the pictures 😉 (no judgement here 😏).  

Monday Jan 20, 2020 ~ We had only been here not quite a week when we got news that my father passed away.

After those first few days in Romania; buying grocery's, supplies, bedding and furniture we had our first District meeting with the 2 Sisters: Gaskin/Teuscher and Elders: Banks/Firth (DL), and Laker/McLaws (AP's) and Elder and Sister Richardson (Humanitarian and Super Stars)
The meeting was amazing; such great kids and spiritual giants.  That afternoon we were able to meet with President Hettinger (Mission President) and his sweet wife; it was a wonderful meeting and they both are incredible people. They live in Hungary but are over here frequently.
On Sunday as we walked into the door of the Chapel we were asked to bear our testimonies; 10 minutes per person.  These last minute things are fairly easy for me (maybe not so for the audience) but I get to introduce ourselves and tell a bit about our family and life.  After that, I share my testimony of how our loving Heavenly Father heard and answered my prayers by bringing Kenna Nolan into my life, at just the right time, and she introduced me to the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints!  And then briefly how my conversion and understanding of Jesus Christ and the Plan of Happiness began. The whole story is on this link if you want the longer version 😇 https://jamie5663.blogspot.com/1977/  
After church the Sisters came up and asked if it would be ok for them to bring Sister Marianna over for dinner.  We, of course, said, "Yes"!  She is a sweet Romanian woman, a little younger than me and she speaks perfect english.  She comes into the English speaking Sunday School class on Sunday because she is not too fond of Romanians.  Many of the Romanians have a hard time with each other because I think the older generation have the tendency to just say what's on their mind regardless of the feelings that may be hurt in the process.  Anyhooo, that night we had a small dinner (frozen pizza and fruit salad) and a great visit.  She is wonderful and later that month we had a discussion about not letting others offend you and I showed her this quote: "If you left the Church to get away from hypocritical people, you should also quite your job, drop out of school, disconnect yourself from all of your friends and family, lock yourself in your room while you're at it. There will be flaws wherever there are humans. We need to start seeing church for what it is: it is a hospital with wounded and hurt people.  You will find messed up, conniving, calculating, imperfect individuals, including yourself.  As much as you want to deny it, we all go for healing.  So if you felt betrayed by a fellow Church member, put your Nursing cap on and think of them as your patients.  Treat them with care, love and kindness despite their rudeness".
I've been searching to find who said this (I thought Elder Uchtdorf or Elder Holland) but can't find it anywhere; if you know please let me know!


During dinner I got the call that said my Dad had passed away.  After everyone left Bill booked me a flight to Colorado and I packed my bags.  Early the next morning I found myself on my way back to the good ole USA.
We are officially recognized as being Ministers in Romania,
. . . with a mailing address in Hungary!