Saturday, January 25, 2020

(13) ~Colorado Funeral ~ USA ~ (Romania 🇷🇴Mission)

Friday, January 24-30, 2020
After the fun visit with the 5 Grand-babies I got up early and drove the 3 hours to Rocky Ford, Colorado! I have always referred to it as the "Cantaloupe Capital of the World".  Apparently that title goes to a town in CA and this little town (which I spent many summers in) is called "The Sweet Melon Capital of the World". . . I'll take that title because their cantaloupes and melons are totally scrumptious!

After arriving in Rocky Ford I went full speed ahead starting to get the Funeral arranged. 
My brother and sister couldn't make it but my stepmom, Donna (from La Junta, CO), and my stepsister, Sue (from Layton, OK), pitched in and helped me take care of all the arrangements! It was so wonderful having them there with me and being able to spend time with them. Donna and I went and picked out flowers and did the obituary together.

Sue got there a day later and she and Donna went to the Nursing home and packed up all of Dad's items.  Dad's roommate was a very funny, nice guy and was trying to claim items as his own that were actually Dad's 😅 ~ Sue let him keep the mini-fridge but they hauled the lift chair and his dresser away (I think Donna had the matching furniture from when they were married so it rightfully went back to her).  I would not have been able to do all that needed to be done without their help.  Fortunately, for me, we had already set up a funeral trust when Dad first went into Asst Living so this made things a lot easier.  I had to run around town and go to the funeral home a bunch of times and just back and forth from Rocky Ford to La Junta  (passing through Swink each time 😁). Donna and Sue would take care of one thing while I took care of another ~ they were my rock!  We had so much fun visiting and catching up; it was a wonderful and memorable time together!
Donna and I went through all of Dad's life work and found plaques, newspaper articles, pictures and certificates depicting the life he lived.  In the community he was very active and did many good things.  There were many who loved and appreciated him for all that he did.


He enjoyed living and loved being active and busy. 
I know exactly where I got my social butterfly inclination from!
Maynard Bowen was a genuine friend of Dad's.  He is truly one of the nicest, Christ-like people that I know.  He visited Dad every week; sometimes 2 or 3 times a week.  He would take him out for rides or treats at the Sonic drive-in! He is a pastor of his own church and was delighted when we asked him to participate in the service.
The best of all was when Maynard sang; I love this man, he is that sweet grandpa that everyone wants as their own.  I wish I would have actually taped the songs; I did get part of one song but my phone was flipping all around.

Dad's church friend, Jim Billings, spoke and others from my Dad's congregation also participated.  It was a sweet atmosphere and many got to share their stories of Dad.  Ronnie Hoss was especially fond of Dad and really looked up to him and shared some funny and wonderful stories about Dad when he was in the highlight of his career.
I blundered and blotched big time on the program; I thought I had better correct it here (for genealogy purposes 😏)!

One thing that I have learned over the years is how people are different beings to different people.  You never know how many lives you touch for good or bad.  We all can know the same person but everyone of us might have a different perspective of the kind of person they are ~ depending on how and under what circumstance you were involved with them.
I was only 5 when my Mom and Dad divorced but he married Donna shortly thereafter and having Donna and Sue in his life was a great blessing. Dub Jr., Jill and I would go down to Swink, CO for a visit with Dad, Donna and Sue during the summers (Sue already had her own apartment but would hang with us when we came to town).  I would take off and play with a zillion friends (I was still in Elementary/Junior high), Dub would hang out at home reading and Jill and Sue would spend a lot of time riding horses (at least this is how I remember it).  Donna and Sue were Rodeo champions; they barrel raced and had all kinds of first place trophy's and memorabilia.  It was amazing to watch; Jill got real good under Sue's tutelage and also began barrel racing (I barrel raced once and it was a complete flop). Anyhoooo, all I remember is that it was fun to go there for part of the summer break (mostly because everyone was busy doing their own thing and I got to play with all my friends, run all over this little town, playing in the canal and sometimes riding horses)!  I do remember getting a job as a Kirby sales girl one summer.  I would go door to door and for every card I could get filled out I would get a quarter! I loved it and I was never in want of money for the Penny Store! It was all good memories for me, although I do remember missing my Mom
This is Donna and Dad when they first got married; the 2nd pic is them with 
my sister, Jill, after they had gotten divorced.  Donna always stayed friends with Dad.
As I got a little older I got to go to the La Junta Livestock Auction with my Dad; he was good, I mean really good and you wouldn't get the big end of the stick if you were going against him.  He was super great with numbers ~ a number of years ago when he was first getting dementia the doctor asked him to count backwards from 100 by 7's;  big mistake; he whittled those numbers off faster then I could count to 10. That would be the last part of his memory to go 😂!
Being the youngest I really didn't pay much attention to anyone else but me 😛 so I wasn't involved with the dynamics of our family.  My Mom was good about not involving me with her conflicts with my Dad but my Sister and Brother were old enough that they witnessed and were affected by it much more than me.  I do hope that those that he hurt, cheated or bruised can find forgiveness in their hearts and heal as they let go of any anger that they had or have. The power of hate is very strong and can overtake your life if you allow it to.
I'm afraid there were quite a few people in Dad's life that have been hurt (but couldn't that be said about all of us?); hopefully the good he did do will off set the bad a bit. We really don't know how each person grew up or what they had to face in their own lives that make them the way they are, do we? Maybe I wasn't affected by my Dad as much as other family members but there are plenty of people in my life that have hurt me deeply and those that I have hurt which I hope can forgive me as I forgive others.