Wednesday, November 2, 2016

~love is a rose

Billy and I have had some fun and interesting "Date Nights".  Mostly it is just finding all the
hot spots in Cambodia to eat at!!  Here are a few of the places and things we are doing for fun!
First and all time favorite ~ Swenson's Ice Cream!
     
Of course, massages are always on our #1 list as well.  I found a fantastic girl who was perfect, but the establishment makes them work from 11am to 11pm and she wanted different hours so she was let go.  What I wouldn't give if I could somehow track her down!!  Most of these girls don't have a clue about giving massages as they don't have to go to school or get trained.  They just massage you like they think they know what they are doing or what they have seen others do.  Once, after requesting an hour and a half massage, I had to leave after 10 minutes because the gal was just rubbing the arch of my foot back and forth . . . back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, back and forth . . .  see how this is driving you crazy ~ can you imagine someone constantly doing it to your foot?  I tried to instruct her to 'move on' but the language barrier is a bit rough.  Finally after shaking my foot a number of times with no success, I just pleaded a stomachache and took off.  I paid the full amount and let Billy stay and I went home, I left a hefty tip as well (you can't really get mad or take it out on them as they are the sweetest girls alive!!)!!  The search is still on and I won't give up!
 Nin and Phyna (two of the best employees at Moo Moo's) and Bill and I at a Singapore Restaurant, "LoveSG Cafe",  out by Moo Moo Farm, in Kandal, that (I'm sure) has fantastic food, but the only thing I get each time are their Scrumptious Waffles!!!  They are light and fluffy and taste like a pastry!! A favorite place of the Missionary's and the only place I want to go to when we are out by the Farm!!!  
 
Oh, yes, I do believe there was ice cream on my waffle!

Nin invited Phyna to a concert put on by the Branch out in Kandal.
We joined them and had a wonderful time! 
 There was singing and speakers and the spirit was strong, the company fun and the program wonderful! Super fun night! This little gal sang and her husband played the violin and they
both were incredible. She works at CJF, where Kenny did his internship a few years ago!
  
Couldn't hardly get a smile from this little one but once we did it brightened the room! Love the hair!
We still hit the "The Doggie Diner" (still haven't found out the correct name) frequently.  I do feel like I get little ankle bites each time we have gone here ~ it must be worth it since we keep going back (it is close and convenient).  And, I must admit, they do have the BEST chips and salsa!!
Some date nights we've had to swing by our favorite pharmacy and pick up some prescription
drugs that we are in need of (like when I got a throat infection last week).  No need for a
doctor's ok, just self diagnose and pick up what you need ~ VOILA!!! And this is one
of the better pharmacy's as it has everything you could possibly need!  Just so you know my
throat infection was cleared up by the next morning ~ still suffering with an earache though. 
 
This is a restaurant called "Buffalo Sister", we asked why it was called that but never got an answer!
It was delicious and they have a real homestyle Roast Beef dinner with all the fixin's!
Sometimes when we are just having a lazy day we will order-in.  I got this Pizza (which
tastes like the ones my Mom's would make growing up) from Brooklyn Diner.
Twice when we dined in my pizza was a little burned on the bottom so now I
specify not leaving it on the grill too long. They are truly delicious and one of my favorite
spots to order from!!  Just like in Thailand most places deliver ~ are we spoiled or what!?!
 
Which brings us to our new favorite past time.  At home, in St George (Utah), we watched all 240 episodes of the Andy Griffith Show, one a night (don't knock it til you've tried it).  Here we don't quite have the same selection but we did find a few to watch.  Sooooooo, we began with all 8 Harry Potter Movies (what would we do without Netflix and VidAngel?). Then then moved onto the loooooong Hobbit/Lord of the Rings Movies ~ disclaimer, these were not my choices but I did get my revenge . . . wait for it . . . Yep!!!  GILMORE GIRLS!!
All 7 Seasons all 153 Episodes!!! ~Fun Times~
This is Lone Pine Restaurant ~ very good~ we found out that they deliver so we don't go there anymore (it's across town so a bit far and why travel when we can get it at our doorstep)!  I tried to get a picture of the 12 workers that greet you as you enter but by the time I got my camera out they had dispersed!!
Our HomeTeaching nights usually have us getting caught in the rain as it has been raining every afternoon or evening the whole time we've been here!!  As in Thailand, I don't mind the rain or even getting wet as it is a warm rain and it's easy to dry out!!  Sometimes (more Bill than me) we decide to pull over and let the rain subside (this day we just pulled over to buy some more raincoats ~ which by the way [spoiler alert] I'm getting one for each of the kids for Christmas ~ these little raincoats have sleeves for your arms (unlike my American ones) which make them truly waterproof and so cool!! Even though they are only a one or two-time wear they are so awesome and worth purchasing!)!
We found a little Indian Restaurant at the Mall.  I figured it was high time I start looking for the curry sauce that I ate at an Indian Restaurant on one of the beaches in Thailand when we had dinner with the Grant Anderson Family.  It was to die for and I have never been able to find it since.  I realize when we are actually in India I am sure to find it but I think it would be easier to find it here so I don't have to try all the different ones in India (I know that seems backwards but I am not a 'spicy' kind of girl and I don't really like to try new things (especially when they make me sick)!
Burger King is always a favorite!
A different massage place that was pretty good plus they served
Dragon Fruit ~ similar to Kiwi but not as sweet (we politely skipped the tea)!
Sometimes we just go get dessert from "The Clay Pot".  It's first come first
serve so if I want my Banana Carrot Cake I need to go early!! Scrumptious!
I usually get the Grilled Cheese Sandwich when we go for dinner!!

A couple runs to Krispy Kreme Doughnuts!! As you walk in the store (which is usually pretty empty) there are about 9 workers that greet you!  They give all the children a hat and the kids wear them proudly!! The workers are barely more than children themselves and their cheerfulness is infectious!!
 
One of our all time favorites is Mama's New York Diner ~ the best burgers and fries!  Mama loves the Missionaries and every time we go in she asks about Kenny and Lindsay (well, everyone asks about them because everyone knows "the little blonde boy who speaks like a native" plus both him and Lindsay made some 'forever' friends here in Cambodia!)!  Mama has family in NY and tries to go there every year for a visit!  Her family in NY want her to come back and live with them as she has 4 grandchildren that she could watch and care for each day!!!
 
We also love Alma's (hummmmmm, owner maybe a RM!?!).  I ALWAYS get their Mexican Toast (French Toast).  I know it is hard to tell how very small this little pitcher is but take my word for it, it is very small and I usually have to ask them to bring one or two more!!  Delicious!!
  
This is "Mikes Burger's".  Mike is Khmer but lived in America for many years and then decided to
come back to Cambodian and open a Hamburger Joint!  He imports A&W Root Beer and
makes Root Beer Floats, which I love and get every time we go there.  This is probably
the restaurant that is the furthest away from us so we don't go there very often.
It is worth the long & dangerous trip when we do make it!
 Oh, I'm sorry, this spider is not part of the establishment.  Someone had brought it into "Mike's" and given it to these people that were sitting across from us.  I should have put a plastic spoon by it so you could see how large it was ~ it literally was as long as a plastic spoon.  Very gross and undesirable (although I am not sure but this little critter might be someones fried dessert tonight)!