Monday, August 1, 2016

~1st step . . . denial

I have taken at least a million pictures of the (what I thought of as) contumelious traffic here in Cambodia. I’ve come up with 12 reactions a 
person will experience as they encounter the flood of movement as they 
travel in this remarkable country . . . . . The 1st is DENIAL!


I mean, I really, really cannot believe that the whole country hasn’t been injured while on the streets of Cambodia.  It is total chaos and everyone just . . . goes.  They seem to travel in their different modes of transportation as if they are the only ones on the road.  No one stops at the stop signs (the few that they have) or at any intersection even if it is a side street going onto a major street.  At the few stoplights that are in place (at some of the major intersections) when the driver sees that they only have 3 seconds till their light turns green they all start moving into the intersection (while the light is still RED).  The masses are what control the traffic not the other way around.  If you plan on getting across the street (as seen in the picture above) you just ease out with the other vehicles that are going your way and move on out!  It just doesn’t seem possible that there are not accidents on every single road every single day.  It really truly is hard to believe - 
bottom line ~ it IS unbelievable!!!


We’ve hired SeNahn to be our TukTuk driver for 
the Month.  He is super sweet and simply wonderful. 
Each time we would stop and Bill would run into a shop, 
SeNahn would try to teach me some new Khmer words 
(more like reteach me the words I already learned but 
that I am pronouncing incorrect).  He is great!!