Saturday, March 14, 2020

Coronavirus ~ Romania πŸ‡·πŸ‡΄ Mission ~

Saturday, March 14, 20020
πŸ˜‡So far there is no talk about us going home!πŸ˜‡

With the Coronavirus going world wide, last week our nurse here 
in Romania, Sora (Sister) Fillerup (<<< how appropriate it that), asked that each of the missionaries get a 72 hour kit; which is always a good idea. Here is ours:πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ 
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ j/k~here is our actual one πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚!
However, this week we have been encouraged to get a 2 week supply of food and water. Bill and I went out together but got separate grocery carts AND went to separate check out registers. This way it didn't look like we we're hoarders.

^^I saw this Cutie Patootie ^^ while I was shopping!^^
We bypassed this area in case someone sneaked a raw bat in there somehow πŸ˜‰!

We had to spend about 4 times this amount on groceries when we first 
arrived; no need to worry though as it is in lei not dollars ~ it was only 
about $236 today! After checking out we combined our grocery carts and 
took it out to the car.  We have to bring our own bags each time we shop or 
buy new ones.  Needless to say, I always forget them so I buy a few and then 
we fill up our "returnable" 12 cent grocery cart and unload it into the car!

Once we get home Bill stops at the -1 parking area (we use the -2 indoor 
parking garage).
 
He magically appears with the apartments "borrowed" grocery 
cart that someone leaves on the first floor each day (apparently just for us)!

Bill fills up the grocery cart then I take it up to the 7th floor. He then parks the car while I unload the grocery's; once he returns he takes the cart back to the 1st floor! What great team work ~ how lucky are we πŸ˜›

We are now set for whatever comes our way! We also have 
other everyday regular food for the next couple weeks so 
this will really be for an emergency if we have to self-isolated!
I tried to take a couple pics in the store but because they are big on 
the privacy act I blurred any faces that actually got in!  The stores here 
are not that different than our stores back home; there is a Carrefour, 
just like in Thailand, right around the corner from us. The check-outs 
are a hoot, though. There is no space to pass anyone because even a short 
line goes out into the isle blocking everyone in. This was PRE-Coronavirus; 
there are just extremely long lines and they only have a very tiny space between 
the checkout and the isle. Since the Coronavirus scare it has gotten out of 
control. The sad part is the country is very poor so that the people can't buy 
a lot. I think a majority of them live day to day so they need to shop daily. 
The funniest is that the little carts (that hold 2 carrying baskets) cannot leave the grocery store. Once you unload your groceries onto the conveyor belt you have to go backwards through all the people with your cart and just put it in front of the candy space in the already crowded isle.  It is a crack-up; a bit of a weird system! Since everyone has to do this, unless, of course, you pay the whooping 12 cents to use their big carts (which is refundable) it is just a normal routine.  
 Most everyone has been patient with me ~ I'm pretty sure if everyone didn't 
think I was just a funny, crazy old lady there would be a lot of screaming going on!

A couple months ago when we first arrived I got in a line with a full regular 
sized grocery cart filled to the brim;  a lady worker yelled at me and told me 
to go to another line.  I proceeded to do this but it was apparently still the 
wrong line. She gently πŸ˜ put me in a longer line . . .  I first thought it was 
because I was using a "20 item-limit" lane but they don't have those, then I thought that I got in a lane that only the "small carts" could use but then I 
saw a big cart ahead of me.  Still haven't figured that one out πŸ˜›. I also don't 
think she was 'yelling' at me; that is just how most Romanians speak!!   

Back to the Coronavirus. Like the rest of the world we will not be 
having church or any other church activities, including: English class, 
Game night, FHE, district meetings, etc..  We will still have meetings 
through Zoom and the Elders or Sisters can bring "friends" over to our 
apartment for discussions! All is good and the work will go forward!
 These great instructions are everywhere throughout the church 
(although now no one will see them). I'm sure the kissing picture is for 
all the older generations' cheek kisses (which I think is the absolute 
cutest ~ and probably spreads the virus quicker). But as far as I'm
 concerned I think it was secretly put in because of Bill and me πŸ˜πŸ˜πŸ˜‰!

We just finished our resident Visa's papers.  Good thing we both checked out ok; it's quite the process! We had blood-work done, physicals and Chest X-rays. These were 3 different appointment's on 3 different days.  The crazy thing is the first 3 were all in the same hospital area (room).  They didn't seem too busy, especially after the Coronavirus outcry, but it still took 3 days to get all 3 appointments.  First day blood drawn ✅ after our blood was drawn we went back the next day for the physical ✅ and got our blood results ✅. Then 3 days later we did the X-rays and will need to go back Tuesday to pick up the results ✅.  On the 19th we'll take all of the paperwork and results to a different hospital to submit them and get our Visa card.  It was a bit of a drawn out process but I am sure it could have been worse.  Fortunately for me, Billy is great at organizing all of those things (maybe because of all his FBI training).  We also had to pay 3 different taxes and some apartment thing but he has been brilliant doing it all (all I have to do is tag along).  It has really paid off me being sick, sleep deprived and exhausted all of Jan and Feb;  he got in such a great habit of taking care of me and doing everything, that I think 
he really enjoys it and wants to continue doing it. Ain't love grand πŸ’žπŸ’‘πŸ’ž!

During all the uproar isn't it comforting to have a testimony of Jesus Christ and especially the Plan of Salvation πŸ˜‡. We will get through all this chaos and things will be settling down soon.  Even if we are sent home I can mark this down as some of the best (2) months (give or take a few weeks 😜) of my life!  I have loved listening to President Russell M. Nelson, Prophet and noted heart surgeon, as he counsels us during this time of the Coronavirus. In his message, "My Message of Hope and Love for You", it gives the sweet assurance of hope, love and comfort during this time. If you haven't had the chance to listen take the opportunity to do so!  As you listen you will know he is speaking to you from his heart and that what he is saying he has received directly from our loving Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ! You can't help but love this wonderful prophetic man! 
https://www.facebook.com/russell.m.nelson/videos/199840471336927/

Sidenote: Each summer when we participated in the Hill Cumorah Pageant we would end the evening reciting Joseph Smith's great prophecy that the Gospel of Jesus Christ will go forward no matter what. I love it and know you will, too!

"The Standard of Truth has been erected; no unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing; persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame, but the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and independent, till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, till the purposes of God shall be accomplished, and the Great Jehovah shall say the work is done" 
(Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith [2007], 142). Prophet Joseph Smith (1805-44).
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/language-materials/36481_eng.pdf?lang=eng

πŸ’™πŸ˜‡πŸ’™Happy Sabbath πŸ’™πŸ˜‡πŸ’™