Saturday, August 21, 2021

Nasha's Baptism ~ România 🇷🇴Mission ~

 March 27, 2021

❤️ Sweet Nasha, our friend and newest member of 
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints ❤️
Illawathura Kankanamge Nadeesha Chathurangani Liyanage 
We had such a beautiful baptism service today;  I will share Nasha's journey!
Nasha said that she saw a lot of churches in Romania and she went to many of them.  She would go in and light candles but she didn't meet anyone who spoke about God. She continued to pray to God to understand His desire for her.
Sister Natalie Gunn had posted that Nasha could have the opportunity to learn English and talk about Spiritual Life through Facebook.  Nasha sent her a message saying that she wanted to join it.  When the Pandemic started to affect the world she had problems being able to go back to Sri Lanka and she was unable to join the English class.  At this point Nasha did not realize that Sora Gunn was affiliated with any Church nor did she know what a Missionary was.
On Christmas day, Nasha was alone in her living room while everyone else was celebrating Christmas. She was sad that she couldn't celebrate her first Christmas here in Romania. As she looked on Facebook she saw that Sister Gunn sent a video to her; it was "The Christ Child: A Nativity Story"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXWoKi5x3lw
"It was about Jesus Christ and I later saw, in Sister Gunn's Facebook, that she belonged to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. She spoke English so it was easy for me to communicate with her.  She lovingly asked me about Christmas. When she told me she was going to church, I eagerly asked her to let me go there and talk and see them.  After chatting with them and hearing about God, I prayed with them that day and then went to a job interview. I wanted to learn more but I had to go back to work.
"I went to the church one day a week on my way to work and learned from Sister Gunn & Sister Saunder for about an hour. Then Sister Northrup attended. I came to believe in the word of God with the utmost respect and devotion.  I felt that Jesus Christ was the only Savior who would guide me on my journey.  
"I know that the Church of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth. I'm happy about it. I always feel safe and secure, even in times of extreme hardship. I believe God brought me to this point where I can find the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I love it.
"I had a work contract until March but I worked hard and somehow came to church one day a week and told Sister Gunn that I needed to be baptized. By then Sister Smith and Sister Evans were teaching me lessons. I learned a lot from them.

"In the meantime, I read and studied the Book of Mormon and learned about the principles of the Gospel. I'm very surprised and pleased; I agreed to live it.
"I decided to be baptized on March 27, 2021. I asked Elder Matthews if he would baptize me. I had already met Elder Matthews a couple of times.  I felt blessed by my father. I was so happy on my baptism day and I had the support of so many Sisters and Elders. Sister Matthews is a beloved older sister I will always remember.  And I'm so glad about the kindness of love. What I learned from all of you is love. I grew up in a different culture, but I learned a lot from you.  You show me love and give it to me. I thank God for that.
"I'm still learning from Sister Workman who came to Mihai Bravu church because I want to learn more after I'm baptized.  One day she taught me the Book of Mormon in Sinhala with another, Sister Senanayake, and Sisters in Sri Lanka were already teaching me.  I have a very happy testimony to God for all of this.  I pray to God to bless the lives of all these children of God who have supported me in their guidance. I want to one day be a missionary and bring others unto Christ and share the joy I have found with others.
Natalie Gunn, Audrey Saunders, Elder Matthews, Sister Matthews, Emily Northrup, Megan Smith, Alyson Evans, Jedrick Sellar (Sri Lankan), Nora Rytting, Amy Workman, Hailey Ellis, Emma Curtis,  Senanayake and Sister Mahathanthri, Elder Abishek (Sri Lankan)."
Nasha has a beautiful testimony and as you read her words I hope you can feel it, too!  It was truly such a beautiful meeting and you could feel the spirit throughout the whole program.  There were so many wonderful people participating: President Ion Dragoi presided, Brother Larsen conducted, Sora Gunn and Sora Evans gave talks on Baptism and the Holy Ghost. Sora's Sabir and Wenstom said the prayers. Nasha received the gift of the Holy Ghost through Elder McAllister along with all the wonderful, worthy Priesthood brethren that attended the baptism and Elder Matthews had the honor of baptizing Nasha. Elder Perrigo and Sora Northrup did an amazing duet (which I cried through) as they sang "Peace in Christ", which is now my all time favorite song.  I've included the lyrics below; to get the full effect you can listen to it online as it just might become your favorite song, too 😇:
Because of the pandemic our missionaries mostly reach out to people through social media.  It is amazing how many people are searching for the truth and for peace in their lives. Nasha was one of these special people.

Peace in Christ

McKenna Hixson


There is peace in Christ

When we learn of Him

Feel the love He felt for us

When He bore our sins

Listen to His words

Let them come alive

If we know Him as He is

There is peace in Christ


He gives us hope

When hope is gone

He gives us strength

When we can't go on

He give us shelter

In the storms of life

When there's no peace on Earth

There is peace in Christ


When we walk with him

Through the streets of Galilee 

to Jerusalem

Mend the broken hearts

Dry the tear-filled eyes

When we live the way He lives

There is peace in Christ 


He gives us hope

When hope is gone

He give us strength

When we can't go on

He give us shelter

In the storms of life

When there's no peace on Earth

There is peace in Christ

There is peace in Christ

Sora Gunn painted the cover of a Book of Mormon for Nasha ~ what an artist; what a treasure!
It was a beautiful day and one we will remember forever!