Monday, August 16, 2021

Making Friends while Making Cozonac ~ România 🇷🇴Mission ~

Saturday, February 6, 2021 

~ Cozonac ~

Last Sunday as I was leaving the church the RS Pres, Sora Doru, handed me this piece of paper (on the left) and said to bring the ingredients next Saturday to our RS activity.  She also told me I would be in charge of the Spiritual thought/lesson and a short video would be nice.
Needless to say, the lesson would be the easy part but it was finding the ingredients and reading the recipe that would be a little tricky! I got her daughter to translate the recipe for me so the next part was finding everything at the grocery store 💛😜💛!
~ Our Beautiful Bakers ~
Top picture: Sora Doru [far left], Sora Bobeanu [back left] < the one with the magic dough hands that made all our dough look like masterpieces, Sora Dumitru [front left], her daughter, Loredona. On the right is Sora Wilcock, me, Sora Sabir and Sora Falslev! 
Bottom Picture: Sora Geta 😇, Sora Bobeana, Sora Doru, Sora Falslev, Sora Wilcock and Sora Sabir.

I wasn't sure how many people would show up and of those that did I wasn't sure if they would bring the ingredients; so as I bought mine I went ahead and bought enough for 5 more recipes.

For all you bakers out there you can see how perfect this dough is!  Sora Bobeanu helped every one of us so all of our dough looked amazing; she truly has the baker's gift! Above is Sora Falslev and me holding a bowl together ~ Sora Falslev did all the work and I ran around and, well, I'm not sure what I was doing but I know I never got my hands doughy!  The great news was that each batch of ingredients created 3 BIG loaves of bread so there was enough bread for everyone (and then some)!

We were supposed to bring any kind of filling that we wanted.  Many people like the "Turkey Delight" candies but I just love cinnamon and sugar so I brought many, many packages of cinnamon.  I also picked up a few chocolate bars but upon further investigation with Sora Wilcock (above) it was discovered that it had cherries or something mixed in it so no one wanted to add them in so they ended up on my countertop at home in a dish until finally, after many gatherings, they were gone!

At first there wasn't much room in the kitchen area so Sora Falslev and I set up some tables in the overflow of the chapel (we kind of felt like we had been banished to Outer Darkness); but since no one else showed up we were invited back into the kitchen (the Celestial Kingdom 😂😂😇)!

The Elders (and others) snuck in a few times to see the creations that were being baked.  There was a sweet aroma drifting out of the kitchen that was pretty irresistible to pass by.

We had such a wonderful, fun time and it was just so great to be with everyone and enjoying each other's company! There was a baptism later that day so we would be having Cozonac for dessert!
Oops 😝! There wasn't enough time to bake my bread at the church so I brought mine home to bake. Since we still haven't quite figured out how to get the correct setting in our oven I overcooked our bread just a bit.  I had to take it out on the balcony in order to get the stink out of the house and cool it down.  Surprisingly enough the inside was soooooo delicious ~ cinnamon and sugar throughout the inside so I scraped every ounce of bread out of its carcass and gobbled it all up! 
Deeeee-licious 💛😋💛!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cozonac

The culture in Romania is much different than anywhere else we have lived.  I can't imagine living in a communist country for so long and being subjected to fear and being afraid to trust anyone because of the threat of being turned into the government for any little misdeed.  I think because of this it takes the people much longer to open up to new people but even to each other.  The younger generation is where the country will thrive as they are exposed to the world, other countries, other cultures and people. Each night as we review our day we hope that we have brightened even one person's life and made someone feel loved, wanted and appreciated; hopefully this was one of those days for our sora's in our little Branch 💙😇💙!