Friday, August 14, 2026

#14 Al Ain ~ Good times together - FHE/Primary/Skinny Mall

back row: Josh, jamie, Kennedy and Victoria

Kat, Kyler, Charm, Jenny

We had everyone over to the Villa for FHE ~ dinner, visiting and simply enjoying a relaxed evening together. It doesn’t seem to matter if the group is big or small; somehow, the Villa always fills up with laughter, conversation, and that happy kind of chaos that comes when little children are around.

James, Victoria, Bill, Jamie, Ram, Jenny and Adrena

Gayle got everyone together for a Young Men/Young Women activity! If there’s one thing we’ve learned about Gayle and her family, it’s that they know how to turn just about anything into a party! There was plenty of food, laughter, energy, and the kind of fun that makes you grateful for good people who know how to bring everyone together.

Top Center: Gayle
It was one of those evenings where the activity itself almost seemed secondary. The real blessing was watching the kids and families enjoy one another, make memories and being together. Gayle has a wonderful gift for creating that kind of atmosphere and we’re pretty lucky to be included in it!

Taonga
After our youth park activity and taking Ram and Rob home, Bill and I took Taonga to the grocery store to help her get some groceries. I gave her a budget of 300 dirha (about $81) and sent her off to shop.
I was standing in the cheese aisle when a woman approached me and asked, “Are you a Christian?”
“Yes, I am.”
“Would you pray for me?”
“Of course,” I said. “Tell me what’s troubling you.”
She told me her name was Rasha and that she had been having a hard time sleeping. She felt anxious and said she carried a heavy burden. She wanted to feel more love for her husband and just didn’t know how to get rid of the heaviness she was feeling. I told her I would keep her in my prayers. I thought she would simply thank me and move on, but instead she bowed her head. I was a little surprised and gently asked, “Would you like me to pray for you now?” She nodded her head and took my hand. The woman she was shopping with and her little boy joined us and there we stood, in the middle of the grocery store, holding hands and praying.
I prayed that Heavenly Father would ease Rasha’s burdens, help her sleep peacefully, give her greater love and understanding for her husband and help her turn her worries over to Jesus Christ. I told Heavenly Father that I knew He loved Rasha, that He was aware of her struggles and that I knew He could bring her comfort and peace. Then I closed the prayer in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ.
When I opened my eyes, Rasha was so grateful and gave me a hug. She told me that she had been Muslim but had found Jesus and was searching for Him in her life. I told her that Jesus Christ loved her and that He had already suffered every pain and burden we could ever experience. Because of His Atonement, we can turn those burdens over to Him and ask Him to help us carry them.
She thanked me again and said the prayer had made her feel so much better. Then she asked what church I attended. I told her I was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She was genuinely interested, but at that point I felt a little unsure about where the conversation might go. Normally, I would have given someone my name or number and invited them to church, but this time I felt that the important thing had already happened. Once I learned that Rasha had a Muslim background, I also knew we needed to be very careful. Religious proselytizing is restricted here in the UAE, so I didn’t want to cross a line or put either of us in an uncomfortable situation. I felt that Heavenly Father had simply asked me to do one thing that day; to stop, pray with her and remind her that Jesus Christ loved her. And perhaps that was enough. I had been standing in the cheese aisle, minding my own business, when Heavenly Father put someone in my path who needed a prayer. And really, what are the odds of that? Sometimes we don’t need a lesson, a pamphlet or even a long conversation. Sometimes all we need to do is stop what we’re doing, take someone’s hand and remind them that God knows them, loves them and has not forgotten them.

(This collage ^^^ [jamie & Zuri] and the next one are from February 💖; better late than never 🤔?)

Zuri had Primary all to herself this week! Zoe and Kahleia were busy with school activities, so it turned into a special one-on-one day. We talked about Noah, built an ark, and she made sure it was packed with lots and lots of animals. I think every creature wanted a ticket aboard!

In the top left are some wonderful Valentine's treats from Billy that made the day even sweeter.

Bill and Jamie

The Mall was decked out with what seemed like a thousand hearts. It made Valentine's Day especially fun! We celebrated with a Baskin-Robbins ice cream treat and I couldn't resist taking pictures of the cakes; they looked more like edible works of art than desserts. The malls here are so enormous that we still take pictures of where we park. Otherwise, we'd spend the evening searching for our car!

In the top right corner are the cutest little nut and candy boxes. For about $5, they'll fill them with whatever treats you choose. Honestly, this time I was more interested in bringing home the adorable Arab-themed boxes than the candy inside. One of my favorite things at the mall is watching the little children happily riding around on the electric animal rides. They always remind me of our grandchildren at the Orem mall and it brings a smile to my face. As usual, what starts as a quick trip to the mall somehow turns into a wonderful afternoon adventure.

During the day, the malls aren't very crowded, but at night ~ watch out! It's as if someone flips a switch. Once everyone is off work and the whole family is together, they all seem to head to the mall. The malls here are enormous (and air conditioned) and have just about everything you could imagine. They're more than places to shop; they're where people gather, eat, stroll and spend the evening together. There are play areas to keep the kids entertained, movie theaters and one mall even has a full-sized ice-skating rink. Only in the middle of the desert can you escape the heat and go skating! 

I know this picture of my hand is a little strange BUT it goes along with my obsession with pumpkin seeds.  I eat at least one large package a day 😛! Now I'm not saying this as a fact but look at my nails! Yes!!! They are mine. I've never in my life had long nails ~ only fake long nails (which I love). Mine are thin, brittle, and never grow past the pink part. But since I have been eating pumpkin seeds they are strong and growing like weeds! Incredibly amazing! I'm going to have them painted one day soon.

One of the first things you notice in Al Ain is the striking contrast in housing. You'll drive past enormous villas that look fit for royalty and then, just around the corner, you'll see the workers' accommodations. Many are small, weathered and in desperate need of a little TLC. In the photo at the top right, the arrows point to the back of our villa, tucked between two larger homes. Every time I see some of these buildings, I have the same thought: if I had a giant spray-paint gun filled with fresh paint, I'd happily spend a weekend giving half of Al Ain a makeover. It's amazing what a coat of paint and a little cleanup could do. It wouldn't take much to brighten the neighborhood, but whether it's a lack of funds or simply a lack of interest from some landlords, many of the buildings are left looking tired, dirty and neglected.



Looking back at all these little moments; Branch activities, Primary, time at the park, helping at the store and simply being together, it’s easy to see that service doesn’t always look like what we expect. Sometimes it is planned and sometimes it happens right in the middle of the cheese aisle! But each time we reach out, help, teach, listen, or simply love someone, we have an opportunity to serve the Lord. I think that is one of the sweetest blessings of our time here: we came to serve, but in so many ways, we have been the ones who have been blessed.


“When ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God.” — Mosiah 2:17